For the ultimate day of snorkelling the outer Great Barrier Reef, travel aboard Calypso's purpose built catamarans. With much of the reef's colour and marine life visible within the first few metres below the water's surface, snorkelling allows even the most apprehensive swimmer to view the reef, with minimal effort or skills required.
Snorkelling at the Outer Great Barrier Reef:
- Shallow reef conditions are ideal for snorkelling at Opal Reef. Coral bommies and sheltered bays provide habitats for incredible marine life and corals
- Agincourt Reef provides great snorkelling locations as well, although a little deeper than Opal Reef, it provides some spectacular reef sites
- Minimal effort is required for snorkelling. Float on the surface, while breathing easily through a snorkel, viewing the weird and wonderful marine creatures going about their business
- Accessing the water is very easy with Calypso's wide back deck and submerged platform. Plenty of space to ease yourself into the water at your own pace
*Whales are typically present on the Great Barrier Reef between June and September. Please note sightings of whales or other marine species are not guaranteed.
Calypso vessels are very spacious catamarans with large upper and lower decks designed with comfortable day bed style seating to maximise outdoor relaxation. On our dive and snorkel vessels, guests can enjoy a top deck with sun lounges while taking in the breathtaking 360 degree views of the reef.
With an average of 40-50* guests per vessel per day, Calypso provides ample space for you to get the best possible experience of the Great Barrier Reef. *During peak periods such as Australian school holidays, vessels may be at capacity.
There are a few options for snorkelling with Calypso:
- A dedicated snorkelling experience to Opal Reef
- Snorkel on our Snorkel & Dive experience to Agincourt Reef or Opal Reef, perfect when travelling with divers
- For those with limited time, travel 30 mins to Low Isles, a picturesque coral cay for a snorkel with Calypso's newest vessel, Calypso XI. This tour includes a guided snorkel tour, an island walk and a glass bottom boat to transfer guests to the beach.
- Wide stern decks and submersible platforms provide easy access for getting in and out of the water.
- All seating, inside and out, is upholstered for additional comfort
- There are toilets on board, each containing a fresh water shower